Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 10 - Nicotine Free

Hmmmmm.....day 10.  Day 10.  Day 10. 


Well, I have to say that it really is getting easier each day.  Although I had an incredibly sucky day today it had nothing to do with cigarettes.  AND I didn't give in and smoke just cause I had a sucky day.  Kind of proud of me for that.  Cause oh boy at times I wanted to just pace and smoke.


Seriously, the cravings are becoming less and .less.  I won't say they are non-existent and I won't say that the ones I do have aren't nerve racking.  What I can say is that what they tell you is true.  Every day (after day 3 and day 7, lol) gets easier.  Just a little easier, but a noticable easier.


The only thing I disagree with so far is the whole triggers thing.  I honestly don't think that things trigger a nicotine craving as much as you build in time for those cravings.  If you get my drift.  Like, I don't crave a cigarette just because I have a glass of wine.  I find that I crave a cigarette at the end of the day, relaxation.  At the same time I would have a glass of wine.  Or, I don't crave a cigarette because I am having a cup of coffee.  I crave a cigarette to help jump start my day.  It's just likely that I have a cup of coffee then too.  Food doesn't trigger the craving, the craving triggers the end of the meal.  I stop eating so that I can have a cigarette.  More like portion control.


Anyway, I did have a good day when it comes to cigarettes and nicotine.  I'm thinking that I might just be able to to do this.  A far cry from how I felt Friday.  I'm sure there will be bumps along the way and times that I will really have to deal with a craving, but for right now...............I'm good!


Interesting Facts:
Anger apparently peaks for the average quitter at about 48 hours (day 2) and within 72 hours is beginning to return to almost pre-cessation levels.  Nicotine amazingly had taken command of the mind's adrenaline circuitry and when taking back control anger and fear (fight or flight) are our means of releasing adrenaline.  It isn't unusual to find yourself intentionally attempting to induce releases by promoting conflict or feeling fearful about permanently altering your mind's sense of normal from "nicotine normal" back to "you!"


Nicotine smokers have long known that at times during early withdrawal time itself seems almost to stand still.  The first two weeks can seem like some of the longest days of your entire life.


Smoking Joke of the Day:
Two old ladies were outside their nursing home, having a smoke when it started to rain. One of the ladies pulled out a condom, cut off the end, put it over her cigarette and continued smoking.

Lady 1: "What's that?"

Lady 2: "A condom. This way my cigarette doesn't get wet."

Lady 1: "Where did you get it?"

Lady 2: "You can get them at any drugstore."

The next day ... Lady 1 hobbles herself into the local drugstore and announces to the pharmacist that she wants a box of condoms. The guy looks at her kind of strangely (she is, after all, over 80 years of age), but politely asks what brand she prefers.

Lady 1: "It doesn't matter as long as it fits a Camel."


Day 10
I have now stopped smoking for 1 week, 2 days, 20 hours, 46 minutes, 26 seconds. At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 18 hours, 54 minutes, 32 seconds.

Cigarettes Not Smoked: 226
Money Saved:  $67.99
Future Value of Invested Savings: $143.71

In My Lifetime:

Number of cigarettes I have smoked:251,850
Total amount I have spent on cigarettes:$75,555.00
Forgone interest earnings on money spent:$99,115.28
Total cost of my past smoking:$174,670.28

1 comment:

  1. i am thinking you could turn your blog into a short story.....you write that well.....sorry you had a sucky day but glad it didnt make you decide that the fix was a cigarette! kudos to you for your strength and determination

    ReplyDelete